When the first musician you ever sit in with is Rahsaan Roland Kirk, your first gig is when your 10 and names like Max Roach, Cark Terry, Dizzy Gillespie, Roy Haynes, Alan Dawson and Jack Dejohnette are really interested in your development… you know you’re off to a good start.
Terri Lyne-Carrington is a GRAMMY® award-winning drummer, composer and bandleader with decades of experience.
Over the course of her career, she’s played with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones, Wayne Shorter, Esperanza Spalding, Dianne Reeves, Dee Dee Bridgewater, John Schofield, Lizz Wright, Terence Blanchard and the list of her amazing musical collaborations goes on and on… During this interview we get into talking about how this all came about. We talk about the different styles of band leaders she’s worked with & how she herself works with others.
It was a true honour to speak to Terri – she’s a really great person – very real and super chilled. On the day that we spoke Terri was actually doing numerous other interview for names like Jazzwise Magazine – so I’m really grateful for the time she took to speak to us.
During the interview with Terri LC you will hear about:
- Terri Lyne-Carrington’s background and childhood.
- Her amazing start in music and the numerous mentors she had around her when she was around.
- How to be social as a musician, & it’s value. Being the type of person people want to have around.
- Different styles of the band leaders she’s worked with
- How she brings together different musicians and
- The value of writing music for the musical personalities – i.e. people that you know.
- Terri’s Compositional Process.
- What & how Terri teaches at Berklee
- Terri’s music and the Mosaic Project
- The value of fundamentals
“It’s a work in progress. We’re all a work in progress. In life and in music.”
Some of the items mentioned in the episode
Some of the musicians mentioned in this episode
I started trying to list the names of the musicians mentioned in this episode… but frankly there are t0o many… 😉
- Alan Dawson
- Rahsaan Roland Kirk
- Clark Terry
- Dizzy Gillespie
- Elvin Jones
- Roy Haynes
- Max Roach
- Jack Dejohnette
- Brian Blade
- Danielo Perez
- Wayne Shorter